Went on Thursday to Greg Isenberg's chat with Sean Power, as part of Bitmaker Labs' Think Thursday series of events.
First of all, who's Greg?
Greg Isenberg launched 5by.com in Montreal 11 months ago.
Last week, he sold it to StumbleUpon, in what amounts to their first company acquisition since SU was founded in 2001.
It was an insight into Greg's past, the events that led him to form 5by, his approach to forming the team, his wisdom gained throughout the process, and what lies ahead for him and his team.
Some personal take-aways:
- don't add a gear to the bicycle, just get off and build a new vehicle
- affiliate marketing: the underbelly of the internet?
- challenge: build a youtube & vimeo search engine
- curation / personalization
- about different CEO types:
- sales (monetization),
- product (iterations),
- each successful CEO is a blend of at least two
- acquihire - acquiring talent, throwing away the product.
- spend time with people that make me feel like shit.
- spend time with people that shape me in ways that I wanted to be shaped.
- smart people in data science.
- don't get out of your building, get out of your fucking city
- the new Steve Jobs: